Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Work is a terrible way to make a living.

Gah! I meant to update this at the beginning of the week and got totally sidetracked with actual work. Leaving my laptop in the the lab like a chump. Annoying. Now I can't pretend like my whole "system" is actually working. Oh well.

Yes, I took the Round 1 data and plugged it into the same spradsheet I use to calculate power rankings for MLS teams. Yes, I feel like it's shaking out a little better now that a first set of games has happened. Yes, this will be the last sentence that begins with the word "yes". Let's just get to the numbers.

Team
Ranking
Change
Rating
Russia
1
+1
1.5
Ukraine
2
+2
3.5
Spain
2
-1
3.5
Germany
4
+3
4.5
Denmark
5
+5
7
Sweden
5
-2
7
France
7
+1
7.5
Portugal
8
-3
9
Italy
9
+2
9.5
Croatia
10
+6
10.5
England
11
+3
11
Czech Republic
11
-5
11
Greece
13
NC
11.5
Ireland
14
-5
12
Netherlands
15
-2
13
Poland
16
-1
13.5

I will say the rating this week is different than the rating last week because I generally just like to use average weekly rank as the "rating", but since before the first match there was only 1 point it didn't make sense. The rating would have just been equal to the rank. So I posted the numeric value that determines the rating. This round's "rating" is actually average position for the last two points (hence the multiple .5's).

Croatia is the big mover hopping up siz places. Denmark's big upset also bumps them up five places, while, shockingly, Netherlands drops all the way down to 15. Then again, if I posted this on time, Portugal's win over them would have made it seem likeI know what I'm talking about.

Ireland's poor showing hurt them the most, dropping 5 places. And, unfortunatly for me, the Pole's fall to last, though they're still far from out of it.

Here's a Euro logo, just because.



Now, let's "simulate" the results so I can feel better about myself. Maybe with the rest of the games this week I'll get lucky and call one right.

Assuming the higher ranked teams wins, it would look like this.

Czech Republic beats Greece (correct!)
Russia beats Poland (tie, push mash, should have been a blowout... yay Poland!)
Portugal beats Denmark (correct!)
Germany beats Netherlands (correct!)
Italy beats Croatia (should be close... tie?)
Spain beats Ireland (seems like a no brainer)
Ukraine beats France
Sweden beats England (people won't like that one...)

All I'm gonna say at this point is man I can't wait for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment