Saturday, April 14, 2012

The joys of over thinking things

Gamedaygamedaygamedaygamedaygameday!

This is actually going to be the first game of the season I miss though... in-laws just bought a house so we're gonna go out to a fancypants dinner to celebrate. Hopefully someplace with a couple of TVs...

At any rate, I've posted this thought before in several places, but I'll consolidate it for a game day post.

I think this is a very winnable game for SKC. I feel like RSL is going to need to be the team that really evaluates a game plan and changes things up. Their pretty passing game may well get disrupted by KCs high pressure. That said, on the flip side, I think RSL will be able to exploit KCs backs getting forward in the attack (as I noted earlier in the week, Sinovic and Myers both play further up the field as defencive backs than Julio Cesar does as a midfielder...) better than other teams have been able to. LA almost (and arguably should have) scored twice as a result of that, and RSL is much, much better than SKC. Going down a goal early will really hurt out chances, so communication between cesar, Besler, Collin and Nielsen will be really important.

I also think we're going to see ejections this game. Nothing's really been said of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if both teams still feel some bad blood from last season (long story involving pre-season and Espinzoa). An early red card may ruin this one for some one. But the Espinoza-Beckerman duel is going to be a thing to behold I think. There's going to be lots of great individual match-ups, actually.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and call it 2-1 to SKC. People on BigSoccer seem to not know what to make of it, but almost everyone looked to give Kansas City a slight edge.

Let's see what others are saing.

Real Salt Lake brings toughest test to KC in young season

Real Salt Lake ready for showdown with Sporting Kansas City

No comments:

Post a Comment